Wednesday, April 11, 2012

More art samples





Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about cover art. I thought I would post some more samples of some of the fantasy art that I have done in the past. Right now, I am charging $500.00 for a full-color painted cover. If the author wants the text, title, back cover blurb, etc added for a printed book, they will have to add another $50.00 to the price.
Email me at WilliamKenney_author@yahoo.com to start the process.

So, here's how the process works:
1) Contact me and tell me the cover concept that you would like
2) I do a sketch of the cover and email it to you for approval
3) Once approved, payment is made through Paypal for the full amount
4) In roughly 2 to 3 weeks, your cover is complete. I usually send in-progress images to you along the way as well.

$500.00 - Full color, painted cover
$200.00 - Black and white interior illustration

And here's some legal stuff, just so you know:

This is an agreement stating the rights of each party (artist and purchaser of art for publication in print or ebook format).


You have the right to use the art that you purchase from me (in this particular agreement) in print or digital form for your RPG supplement or in your novels, if you so choose. You may also use said art for promotional purposes such as flyers, internet promotion, on your blogs, anything to help you advertise your publication.
The things you do not have the right to do:
Mass produce any other items displaying my artwork for profit. (If you wanted to make a shirt or two with one of my images on it for promotion, I'm cool with that. Just don't sell them for profit.) So, no selling of posters, lunchboxes, toilet paper, action figures, mugs, bookmarks with my artwork on it unless we come up with a new agreement for said items.


I, the artist, still retain the rights to the art itself. So, I can make posters of it (as long as I do not use your characters names, etc. You own the rights to those and I can't use them.) I can continue to use the art in other ways as long as I do not infringe on your rights to the characters, story, RPG, etc. I will not show any of the artwork until you publish the work containing it, without your permission. That way there is still an element of surprise when people see your publication. Once you've posted the cover or published, then I can display the art wherever I choose.


Once I receive payment, I will send you an email stating which images are paid for and I will continue to do that as long as we do business.


You must give me credit anywhere that you use the image in some reasonable way. In the credits of the book is fine. It doesn't have to be on every page that has my image unless you want it that way. As long as it is easy for people to find out who did which piece of art, I'm cool with it. 


Let me know if you have questions about this or if I forgot something.

Anyway, on with the show. Here are some images that I have done in the past. I'll post more later.








8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'd love to know your rates. louisewise3@ntlworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Louise. At this time, I charge $300.00 for a color cover. If you want the text, etc laid out as well, that would be an extra $50.00 for the graphic design work.

    Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do awesome work. I'm going to keep this in mind, especially for my next fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, MissWrite. Just let me know when you're ready. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, these are awesome! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Frank and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are a talented artist and underselling your work. However, that may be due to the fact I pay several thousand to my cover artist as then my company owns all rights to the artwork. I am also very much involved with the cover concepts and will not allow my artist to show the work at all until I have published any given piece of artwork. Anyway, just saying I think your work is worth more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment, Ren Prophecies. It's a tough call, really. If I price them too high, will authors continue to commission me? I will most likely start to slowly raise my prices as I know as well that good cover artists make quite a bit more. And I don't show anyone's cover until they have published somewhere. Usually the author cannot wait for the world to see it and they post it on their blog. Once again, I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

      Delete